Adding Network Printer To CUPS

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Feb 12 13:46:42 PST 2007

> I received a [URL=http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/print_3115cn?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz]Dell 3115cn[/URL] printer for our staff here at work and the unit did come with drivers for Linux via RPM format which is fine as my CUPS server is running on RHEL 4 AS. My question is what are the proper steps to add this machine into the CUPS server as I have never done this before.
>
> I don't or would not think it would be as easy as running rpm -Uvh on the file as root so if anyone could guide me into the right directions, I would greatly appreciate this!

Well, we can't possibly know from the name of your Dell-provided RPM what its content is. Wait... you didn't even mention the name of the darn package.

So, if you run

   rpm -qilp /path/to/uninstalled/unnamed/$Dell.rpm

or

   rpm -qilp /path/to/uninstalled/unnamed/$Dell.rpm | grep cups

(if the first one is too long) and post the output, we'd at least have a chance to guess if this could work for you (or if they provided you with an LPRng driver....)