Cups "Replication"

Johannes Grumboeck johannes.grumboeck at porsche.co.at
Wed Feb 14 22:50:17 PST 2007

Hello Chris,

> You can make each server advertise its printers, and have each server
> listen for such requests. Then, when you add a printer on one server it
> would become accessible from all the others just as if it were a local
> printer. Is this what you're wanting?

This could be a possible solution, but I have a question to this configuration:
- Server A is my "master configuration" server and I will install all printers and settings here
- Server A advertises his printers to server B (C,D,...)
- On server B a program prints to the local cupsd spooler , how does the print go through the network?

Does it..
a) go directly from server B to the network printer or
b) first to server A (because he advertised the printer) and from there to the network printer?

I have such a situation that 4 servers should be able to print to several (>2000) printer queues. Yet I've installed cupsd on the first (with heartbeat failover to the second server) and on every server a /etc/cups/client.conf with the IP of the heartbeat cluster. So each server is printing to server A and this one sends it to the network printers.
In some situations this is a high load for server A so it would be good if I would configure the printers on one server and each of the four is printing directly to the network. (It is in our application logic that there wouldn't be two server printing to one queue at the same time.)

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Regards,
Johannes Grumböck