[cups.general] STR #1923 fix incomplete?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 15 12:17:54 PST 2007

Jerome Alet wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 06:00:14PM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
>> I just want to build a graphical interface for adding and removing
>> 'Option' lines in printers.conf, and I want to implement it using IPP
>> calls alone.
>
> This looks a similar problem to the one I submitted a patch for the
> other day (retrieval of CUPS' version number over IPP).
>
> What about implementing a (or a set of) CUPS_* IPP calls which
> would allow at the very least to retrieve the entire
> CUPS' configuration files remotely over IPP ?

No.  You can already do a HTTP GET of /admin/conf/filename to
get a file from /etc/cups and HTTP PUT of /admin/conf/filename
to set a file in /etc/cups (with the proper authentication, of
course).

> Isn't the purpose of values higher than IPP_PRIVATE to allow for
> easy addition of CUPS' only IPP calls without having to register
> them with the IANA (I don't know) ?

No, ALL operations must be registered (or at least that is what any
good netizen does when implementing a standard protocol), as
documented in the IPP specs.  The purpose of the "private" space is
to ensure that vendors can get their own assigned operation numbers
without stomping on other vendors or the accepted standard operations.