Changes in cups

Johann B. Gudmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Fri Feb 16 05:32:43 PST 2007

Im wondering if there have been some major changes in cups recently
that affect how clients connect to remote cups server.

I set up a cups printing server ( RHEL4+CUPS+SAMBA year 2005 ) on our local network.

Pretty routine Point 'N' Print setup for M$ user and made simple
script that added the printer server HOSTNAME in /etc/host "IP HOSTNAME" and added the printer server HOSTNAME in /etc/cups/client.conf
"ServerName HOSTNAME".

The clients add the time were Mac OS X 10.4.2 - 10.4.3 if I recall
correctly and I was using FC4 and upgraded to FC5 and no problem there, some performance issu in the Mac ( Took ages for the Mac to load all the printers and Mac seems to being doing some kind of there own internal ps filtering, ( when printing in some apps shadows in documents came out black, )

Now when I installed FC6 on my workstation everything looked fine
ran the script *puff* all the printers appeard could print no problem
when I look in the printers app I noticed that the printer app was trying to connect to the remote printer server and asked me for username
and pass, I logged into the server as the administrator user, disconnected and thought these guys are brilliant now I can remotly administrate cups just genius for printer admin like me.
didnt look further into it, until Now when the first user came and complainted about his Intel Mac OS X 10.4.8 which literally chrashed after he had run the script and then wanted to add his own printers at home. I then checked if it behaved the same in FC6 and yes I hashed out the ServerName line added a printer locally enabled the ServerName again
my local printers vanhised, Hased out the ServerName again and now when I trie to do something in cups, cups always wants to connect to the remote printer servers.

Has anything changed?
if so what do I need to do to fix it.

Best Regards
           Jóhann B.