inaccurate sizing requires manual intervention

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Fri Feb 16 10:03:47 PST 2007

I print to my laserjet iiip from three sources: win xp, to which printer is directly attached, win 98se over lan, running in win4lin, and linux native printing, over lan, using samba on share.

Windows printing works fine from either 98se or xp, but from linux, if I print a test page from CUPS, the page is sent, but I have to his the Alt-Continue combination of two buttons for the job to finish. Otherwise it just sits there.

Additionally, if I print a test page from either Windows it prints fine with the page border on all 4 sides, and without requiring button intervention on the printer.

Sending a job to it from linux, from mutt or from firefox or oowriter...any linux app, requires pressing Alt-Continue to form feed each page.

Printing a test page from linux, shows the page with a vertical border line down left page side, but nothing on right side or top or bottom. Clearly the page sizing is off, or it seems the print jobs are telling the printer to print a4 or some other size.... my /etc/pagesize file show 'letter' and the default page sizing in my ppd for this printer show letter as the default size page.

If I intersperse jobs, i.e., from windows, then from linux..the windows jobs print fine without intervention, then the linux jobs require the button routine....

How can I correct this nonsense?