printer access with policies

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Feb 19 06:41:19 PST 2007

Matthias Ehrig wrote:
> I try to control the access to printer queues with policies.
> First I create new policies in cupsd.conf, e.g. <Policy group1> with
> Allow statements for hosts, from which access is possible to defined
> printer queues (OpPolicy group1 in printers.conf) of a central cups server, other hosts should not see this queues.
> I use cups-1.2.7 for the cups server, but the configuration is unsuccessful ?
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. What is to set in the <Location /printers> section of cupsd.conf ?
>   If the acces for a host is set, then access ist possible independent of
>   settings in the Policy section

No, the Location settings are used first, and then the policy on top of
that.  So you can use the policy to add access restrictions to the basic
ones in the Location section.

> 2. What is the difference between access and visibility of queues ?
>   Can I configure queues so, that they are only looking on hosts of group1 ?

No, you can limit access but not visibility to specific hosts.

> 3. Is there a new or better documentation for using Policy scenarios ?

The policy documentation in the on-line help
(http://localhost:631/help) and CUPS web site is all there is.