Problems with CUPs

Scott Vetter svetter at ameritech.net
Mon Feb 19 11:19:49 PST 2007

  I have upgraded my SuSE system from 10.0 to 10.2 which caused my printer definition to get deleted.  So, now I'm trying to add my Brother HL-1650n printer.  I tried to set it up through the browser and entered the URL of: http://localhost:631/ as well as http://localhost:631/admin and in both cases I get the message: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:631.

  So I tried to add the printer via YAST. I get through entering the configuration and on saving I get the message: Error: An error occurred while communicating with the CUPS server while saving queue TEXT_P1.  Error while contacting CUPS server occurred.

   So to ensure CUPS was running I entered the command, while under root: cupsd and got the message: cupsd Child exited with status 1!

What's going on?