cups newbie question re: network printing

Nicola Fameli fameli at phas.ubc.ca
Mon Feb 19 13:22:21 PST 2007

The problem originates in my attempts to install/use BrightQ software to drive networked canon imagerunner5180 printer. After giving
$sudo sh canon-brightq-2.4-linux-2007-01-30.run
command, everything seems to work almost to the end of the installation, when the program prints a message
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd [ok]
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd [ok]
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd [ok]
.
.
.

repeated 'ad infinitum' (it went on for a good 5 minutes before I interrupted it). My gut feeling is that it has to do with some cups setting and not with brightq, but I might well be wrong.

Then, when I type $cupsd in a terminal window, I get
cupsd: Child exited on signal 15!
what does this message stand for?

Can some expert help me?

Thx