[cups.general] "client-error-not-found" error message

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:34:49 PST 2007

On 20/02/07, Tom Blum <tommy at sdicgm.com> wrote:

> The -h option doesn't exist on lpr, which is what I need because the lpr command is pointing to a Windows machine, which doesn't support lp.
>
> To refresh my query, what I'm wondering is if there is a command, as executed from an xterm on Linux, that will send a print job to a remote Windows print queue.
>
> Basically, I'm looking for a Linux equivalent command to this Solaris command:
>
> /usr/ucb/lpr -P caesar:HP8500PS tiger.ps
>
> Note that the print queue is defined locally at all. It resides only on the remote Windows machine.

I'm pretty sure you can't do this with CUPS. Even with newer versions
of CUPS whose lpr actually has a -H option, I strongly doubt that it
can talk to an lpd like this.

But you definitely can do what you want with rlpr. And it's a very
small package and it won't clobber your CUPS (contrary what I wrote
earlier---last time I just read the intro but didn't actually try).

--
cheers,
-ambrose

Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia.