Web page 'Jobs' page shows only one job

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Feb 21 10:09:10 PST 2007

Mike Sweet wrote:
> If you have a single server for a particular group of users, you can
> just add a client.conf file that points to that server, eliminating
> the local queue.  If you use a name with multiple IPs, you can even
> get a certain about of failover/load-balancing with the proper DNS
> configuration.
> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com

I note from http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-client-conf.html that there is a ServerName directive but that nothing is said about - and a quick test shows that this does not allow - the specification of a port number. This would be useful for software testing; I have a production cupsd on our production print server listening on port 631, and an experimental cupsd listening on port 632. To test clients which don't have a local cupsd which talk directly to the experimental cupsd on the server, I would like to be able to write:

ServerName printserver
ServerPort 632

or perhaps:

Server printserver:632

Should I make this an RFE? (In the meantime, I'll just wrap lpr(1), lp(1), lpq(1) etc with shell scripts.)

John A. Murdie