[cups.general] "lpstat -p" always stays on "Print file sent,waiting for printer to finish..."

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 21 10:56:24 PST 2007

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> +++ Adam Monsen [21/02/07 10:18 -0800]:
>> When I queue a print job, lpstat -p first says:
>> "printer LabLexmark is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
>>     Connected to host, sending print job..."
>> and a moment or two later:
>> "printer LabLexmark is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
>>     Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish..."
>> and it will continue to say this for hours, even days.
>>
>> Why not "job complete" or "job printed" or something? The printer spat
>> out something good. The job does appear in the "completed jobs queue"
>> as reported by "lpstat -p -W completed -t" and "lpq" seems to know the
>> job is done.
>
> Amen, Adam!!!
>
> I'd just like to know why it's always reporting Jan 01 00:00.. does that
> mean anything or is it like the clock on most VCR's, just flashing 12:00
> ...forever more???

:)

CUPS 1.1.x and earlier did not track the "state time", so it could
not provide a meaningful value.  However, several "legacy"
applications (most notably the Common Desktop Environment) require a
date and time (any date and time) for the printing support to work,
so we added the (bogus) Jan 01 00:00.

CUPS 1.2.x and later *do* track the state time and show the correct
value.