Web page 'Jobs' page shows only one job

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 06:39:15 PST 2007

Mike Sweet wrote:
> John A. Murdie wrote:
> > I note from http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-client-conf.html that there is a ServerName directive but that nothing is said about - and a quick test shows that this does not allow - the specification of a port number. This would be useful for software testing; I have a production cupsd on our production print server listening on port 631, and an experimental cupsd listening on port 632. To test clients which don't have a local cupsd which talk directly to the experimental cupsd on the server, I would like to be able to write:
>  > ...
>
> Sorry, I'll add an example.
>
> Just as with CUPS_SERVER and -h, use:
>
>      ServerName foo:1234
>
> to specify both the host/IP and port number.
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com

Example will be appreciated, thank you. I find that the feature doesn't work, however - with my Linux desktop's /etc/cups/client.conf containing:

ServerName cups:632

(and /etc/cups has the other expected files there, installation not done by myself), I see:

; lpr -H cups:632 -P pp23 tiger.ps
; lpq -Ppp23
pp23 is ready
no entries
; lpq -h cups:632 -Ppp23
pp23 is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
active  john    8       tiger.ps                        78848 bytes
; lpq -Ppp23
pp23 is ready
no entries
; lpq -h cups:632 -Ppp23
pp23 is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
active  john    8       tiger.ps                        78848 bytes
;

The client.conf file is being read, for I see:

; strace /usr/bin/lpq -Ppp23
read(3, "ServerName cups:632\n", 4096) = 20

Whether a local cupsd is running or not makes no difference. (I thought I had to try that just to be sure.)

Not too serious, as it affects only my testing - not the production installation.

John A. Murdie