Make and Model

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Feb 22 07:04:48 PST 2007

Hello all.

When creating or changing a printer queue, I noticed that selecting HP
for "Make:", sets the printer's "Make and Model:" seen from the gui
as "HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5 CUPS v1.2". If selecting Postscript
for "Make:", the printer's "Make and Model:" is set to "Generic
Postscript printer".

While the above does not pose any operational problems in CUPS, it
does temporarily cause a person to double-take and say..."wait a sec,
my printer is RICOH and it's Aficio 3035 but it's showing me an HP
LaserJet".

IMHO, the gui information should be changed from "Make and Model:" to
something like "Device Driver:". The new field name correlates better
with Model/Driver selected when adding or changing a printer. Leave
the user enter the proper Make and Model in the Description field.

So, instead of the following:

Location: SSH 3668-1
Make and Model: HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5 CUPS v1.2
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: socket://10.142.81.53

Have this instead: (replaced Make and Model to Device Driver)

Location: My Basement
Device Driver: HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5 CUPS v1.2
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: socket://192.168.1.100

or

Location: My Basement
Device Driver: Generic postscript printer
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: socket://192.168.1.100

Just a thought... :)

Thanks,
Angel