[cups.general] version 1.2.8 doesn't browsepoll anymore? (sunos5.8)

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 22 10:14:40 PST 2007

Michael Sweet wrote:
> wtautz wrote:
>
>> I think this explains my previous post about printers still showing up
>> even though browsing is disabled.  I just noticed
>> http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L429+I10+T+P1+Q
>> which mentions a fix in 1.3.X? How about a backport
>> assuming I am correct in my assumption. Hmm...
>> moving aside remote.cache makes no difference so
>> what the heck is going on?
>>
>> Version 1.2.7 on SunOS Browsing No. Indeed lsof -i |grep cups
>> is empty....only unix socket listening... and yet I still see printers
>> when running lpstat -v of printers on a different subnet (also configured
>> on SunOS 5.8 and same version 1.2.7 as compiled from www.cups.org.
>> It looks like version 1.2.8 is available...perhaps I should get this?
>>

> Yes, and the fix is there...

Ok. I have compiled version 1.2.8 on SunOS 5.8 and
 now I can't get it to do any BrowsePolling. No printers appear.
I am attempting to browse poll a server running version 1.2.7.
I have included the error_log file from my 1.2.8 SunOS 5.8 client.

I see: error
Unable to bind socket for address ::1:631 - Cannot assign requested address.

LogLevel debug2
MaxLogSize 0
SystemGroup cscf-staff
Listen 127.0.0.1:631
Listen /software/cups-1.2.X/data/spool/run/cups/cups.sock
BrowsePoll print.cs
Browsing On
BrowseOrder deny,allow
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer
Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job
Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class
CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>