default paper size / size of sent jobs

Adam Monsen haircut at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:27:02 PST 2007

> or is this a matter of what's in the PPD?
[...]

Thank you CUPS support for
* confirming that yes, the PPD specifies default

"DefaultPageSize" is the secret code word to look for. :)

* recommending the use of "cupstestppd" to test the PPD.

The PPD I'm using says "*DefaultPageSize: Unknown". I glanced at the PPD spec ( http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/5003.PPD_Spec_v4.3.pdf ) and it seems to indicate that setting DefaultPageSize to Unknown means the page size is not set for the device until the user sets it.

For the exact same PPD file cupstestppd from CUPS 1.1.22 reports:

test.ppd: FAIL
      **FAIL**  BAD DefaultImageableArea Unknown!
                REF: Page 102, section 5.15.
      **FAIL**  BAD DefaultPaperDimension Unknown!
                REF: Page 103, section 5.15.

...and cupstestppd from CUPS 1.1.22 reports:

test.ppd: PASS
        WARN    File contains a mix of CR, LF, and CR LF line endings!
        WARN    Non-Windows PPD files should use lines ending with only LF, not CR LF!
        WARN    DefaultResolution has no corresponding options!
        WARN    DefaultOutputBin has no corresponding options!

1. So, is the PPD ok or bad? I would share it but I'm guessing that isn't permitted . :-(

2. What should I look for in the postscript output to indicate what paper size the job is for? I see "%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792" near the top, which seems to indicate 8.5" x 11" (US Letter) paper, but this never changes even if I do something like "lpr -o media=COM10".

x. Hopefully "paper size" is analagous to "page size"; I've been assuming this.

--
Adam Monsen