[beginner]configure printer HP4250TN

mike lml-mike at hotmail.fr
Mon Feb 26 03:23:23 PST 2007

hello everyone.

To introduce myself just let me tell you that i'm french, that means that you could meet some english mistakes, please don't notice them, i would appreciate :-)

Before telling anything else, i add that i'm since 3 days on cups documentation, linux and redhat helpers (not very helpful for me to be honest :P) and my few linux lessons.

I have to install for the office i work for (i'm doing a training session on a society because of my school program) a HP 4250TN printer, on a redhat "valhalla" 7.3 server, relied to 3 another client pc's on different linux operating systems. On the 4250tn documentation, we can see that this printer is compatible for linux redhat 6.x or later.

I read documentations, learn linux commands etc... my researches aimed to cups.

i saw that you can configure with cups interface your printer, i tried first to add the 4250TN i'll receive tomorrow, but i met some very cute problems :P

- the HP 4250 driver isn't stored in the cups database.
So i tried to find through google the 4250 driver or a hp4250 compatible driver. I found on the HP site a driver for unix operating systems with a .rfu extension (lj42x0fw_08.012.1A.rfu), and on a helping linux site a .ppd (HP.Laserjet_4250.ppd) driver for hp 4250 (not 4250TN, but i guess it could work as well).
I also get informations in this site and i learnt that cups drivers are stored in /usr/share/cups/model/ directory.
By typing ls /usr/share/cups/model/foomage(or kind of)/hp i can see that all drivers are with a .ppd.gz extension.
it could be nice to put the .ppd file on this directory, but i'm not sure to see in the driver selection in the cups interface because of its different extension, and the funniest is that i don't know with the redhat OS how to download a file directly on the directory, or to download it on the /root directory, and to copy/paste to /usr/share/cups/..... directory.

- the printer URL in the cups interface (it's a network printer, so i have to choose lpd/lpr printer).
I see that you can choose a paste beginning with /file, /socket, /ipp, /lpp, /http...But i only know the IP adress of the printer i'll connect, and there's no documentation explaining why and how to choose any of these things...

any tip will be very helpful, because if i'm here to explain my problem in this forum, it's because i'm completely desperate xD

thanks for reading this !

mike