[cups.general] what's wrong with this PS file ?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Feb 26 09:54:49 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:28:23PM -0500, Helge Blischke wrote:

> Though the setup defines /DeviceGray as /ProcessColorModel, the job switches
> to /DeviceRGB by executing the setcolorspace operator. Obviously with the 7.0x
> versions of Ghostscript the setcolorspace operator takes precedence over
> the process color model (don't know why) - or do they completely ignore this
> setting?. I suspect the 8.xx versions of gs (including esp-gs) by default
> throw a configuration error if they encounter page device keys they don't
> understand. As I don't have a 8.xx gs at hand right now, I cannot verify
> nor falsify my hypothesis now.

Do you mean the PS file is buggy ?

> As for the real printer (I guess it is a KonicaMinolta C450), it will honour
> the process color model (at least the C250 at our site does so).

Yes this printer honors the color model, but this causes print
accounting problem because pages detected as color (using
ghostscript) are really printed in grayscale : people want
to charge less for grayscale pages, and obviously here the
color vs grayscale detection code fails : all pages are
accounted for as being colored.

bye, and thanks a lot for your help

Jerome Alet