printer disabled sometimes

toddy.sun toddy.sun at wuerth-phoenix.com
Tue Feb 27 00:47:14 PST 2007

Hi cups expert

    I have a linux with cups installed, system information like following:

[root at gzsx ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 2)
[root at gzsx ~]# rpm -q cups
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.8
[root at gzsx ~]# cat /etc/cups/printers.conf
<Printer hp2420>
Info hp2420
DeviceURI socket://10.77.200.30
State Idle
StateMessage Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish...
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

    I found sometimes the printer will be disabled by cups, the "State Idle" will be changed to "State Stopped". Why does this happen? How to avoid this? Is there any option that can be used to avoid this?

    If I use cups 1.2, there is an option inside printers.conf "ErrorPolicy stop-printer". Can I set it to "ErrorPolicy retry-job" to avoid the printer disabled problem?

Regards,Toddy