Automatic Installation of windows drivers

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Feb 28 03:52:11 PST 2007

Remy Claverie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last week, I upgrade my PC (at home) from FC3 to FC6. I setup the printer (HP920C) under CUPS. All ik OK (as usually with CUPS).
>
> Then, I go on to my windows XP client in the aim to re-install this printer NOT through Samba but directly with IPP (http://serveur:631/printers/HP920C) and I was really surprised that Windows don't ask me where the driver is. I suppose that the driver was automatic installed, but by who : CUPS or Windows ?
>
> Can anyone help me on this question and tell me where could I find a complete link about the automatic installation driver under windows XP when using IPP.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Rémy

Windows XP remembers all the printer configurations in its registry database.
Even "deleting" a printer only cuts off and hides the current connection
settings, but everything else remains known to the system behind ths
scenes.

A brute force - but nearly always succeeding - approach is to
1. "delete" the printer
2. delete everything related to this printer (search for the printer name)
    in the registry (using regedt32)
3. reboot (for safety reasons)
4. reinstall the printer.

This sounds weird, but if I try to see the world through Microsoft's eyes,
it seems plausible: an existing printer never gets changed but replaced by
a newer model ...

Helge

--
Helge Blischke