Minolta 2300w does not printing copies

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Sat Feb 3 20:32:45 PST 2007

> york.heinrich at asta-picca.de wrote:
> >
> > The printer Minolta 2300w is installed as RAW printer on LPT1.
> > One copy of a document is printing but i set 2 copies from this document and the printer prints 1 copy and shutup.
> > I have to restart the printer with Power off/on.
> > When the printer is installed on a Windowsclient to LPT1 it don't becomes any errors.
> > What does CUPS with the PRINTJOBS on the RAW printers ???? I think that CUPS manipulate the printjob.
> > Please can somebody give a helping hand to me?
>
> The copies attribute is handled by the pstops filter of CUPS. Thus, if you use raw printing, the
> print job *must* already be configured to print the requested number of copies.
>
> Be aware that there are some printer dependent quirks: if the printer's PPD specifies the printer
> cannot do collated copies, raw printing may fail.

I am having a similar problem with both the 2300W and 2400W (it's worse on the 2400W). The issue also crops up if I attempt to print a second, separate document before the first document has finished.

I'm not printing as RAW but rather am using the m2300W driver from sourceforge - printing from Windows and Linux clients to a Linux server. The driver's author (Gerhard Fuernkranz) thinks that this is a problem with handshaking to the Konica-Minolta printers.

When I dist-upgrade'd my server from Debian/Sarge to Debian/Etch (CUPS 1.1 to 1.2.7), the problem with my 2400W got worse. It now takes 15 - 20  minutes for the first page to print! Since I understand that the USB handshaking has changed between the two CUPS versions, this would tend to confirm Gerhard's suspicions.

Again, the problem occurs with both Windows and Linux clients, with the Windows clients using the Windows drivers (printing to http://server:631/2400W) and the Linux clients using the CUPS driver.