Raster file generation

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Feb 9 18:06:28 PST 2007

Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Thanks -- that's fixed (I hate bit arithmetic). Is there any reason
> rastertohp supports only such a restricted color space? PCL itself
> supports 24-bit color, I believe.

PCL 5 color supports 24-bit RGB, as do some implementations of HP-RTL.
Everything else is limited to 1 or 2 bits per color.  The rastertohp
driver only supports the basic PCL modes and doesn't provide its own
dithering (although my CUPS book provides an enhanced version that
does), so the toraster filter needs to dither for it... :)

FWIW, the rastertopclx driver included with the DDK supports all of
the PCL graphics modes and also does dithering, color management,
etc.