How should backends handle multi-file jobs?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Feb 16 11:53:19 PST 2007

Jeremy Parrish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Forgive me if this has been asked before. I could not find a definitive answer in my searching.
>
> How are backends supposed to deal with milti-file jobs? It appears that if a job has more than one file, the data file is named with a "-001", "-002", etc. suffix (i.e. d000001-001 instead of just d000001). It appears that the backend only gets "invoked" for the "-001" file. So, I'm guessing that it is the backend's job to look for the "-002" etc. files on its own... Is this correct, or is something wrong here?

That is not correct.

Backends only handle a single file, or read one or more files worth
of data from stdin.  Your backend should either read the file in
argv[6] or read from stdin.

There is a pending bug in CUPS 1.2 (that will not be fixed until 1.3)
for *raw* printing of multiple files.  Basically, when printing raw
(or with no driver), you'll only get the first file in a job printed.