[LOW] STR #2251: Reverse print does not work if PPDfile has '*OpenUI *OutputOrder:' block

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 20 03:12:35 PST 2007

Konstantin Belyanski wrote:
> Yes, you are right, it is current CUPS behaviour. But does this
> behaviour right ? Let's see 'PostScript Printer Description File
> Format Specification' document, version 4.3, 9 February 1996.
> This document (on page 120) states:

OK, I think you are misunderstanding things, so let me explain in
detail:

     1. The DefaultOutputOrder and PageStackOrder attributes are
        hints to the PostScript filter about the "natural" order
        of pages as they come out of the printer.

        Thus, pstops can know, based on these attributes, whether
        it needs to reverse the order of pages when printing.

     2. The OutputOrder option, if supplied, provides a way to
        specify the order of pages as they come out of the printer.

        Thus, pstops can use this option to do page ordering instead
        of doing it manually.

> Do sample PPD file in bug report wrong ? Google returns 334 matches for
> '*OpenUI *OutputOrder:' request. There are several dozens of
> PPD files with this UI block. Some of the printers, like Epson Stylus,
> are cheap, I don't beleive they can print in reverse order by themselves.

Then these PPD files are broken.  If the OutputOrder option is
present, then the printer (or driver) MUST support page reordering
on its own.

> The problem is that I need to switch output order with UI defined in
> PPD file. Printer does NOT support reverse print by itself and has the
> single output bin, thus I can not use *PageStackOrder option.

No, you don't need the option in the PPD file.  You just need an
application that supports CUPS properly and always displays the
OutputOrder option whether it is present in the file or not.