[cups.bugs] No print of PDF file from AR

alupu at verizon.net alupu at verizon.net
Fri Feb 23 08:01:13 PST 2007

Hi,
Helge Blischke, Hin-Tak Leung,
  Thank you very much for your insights and willingness to help.

A. This answer is _preliminary_, haven't have time to absorb and act on your comments and recommendations.  I include a few snippets of my previous posts, it might help eliminate some possible confusions:
686-pc-linux-gnu 2.6.20
CUPS 1.2.7
ESP Ghostscript 8.15.3
(and now with latest foomatic, 3.0-20070220)
gsview 4.8
AdobeReader 7.0.9

NOTES:
1. The "problem" file is a 2-page 66924-byte standard rebate text from newegg.
   It's possible the file is imperfect PDF but
2. It prints without problems from AdobeReader (7.0.5) on Win XP (SP2)
   (same physical system - dual boot).
3. Same problem with AdobeReader 7.0 and 7.0.8
4. The file is _displayed_ perfectly in AdobeReader, gs and gsview.
5. CUPS prints perfectly any other file from AdobeReader, and any kind of
   file from any other application (including command line).

B. Now, a few comments and clarifications:
The problem file is as clear, simple text as they come (no glyphs, so to speak).
It's an insignificant document, probably not worth the monetary rebate you finally receive once you follow its instructions on how to put together your application on the particular product you're buying.
However, there are a few points/problems:

1.  Unlike any other (type) file and application that I know of it can "break" the CUPS at this day and age.

2.  It prints from AR 7.0.5 in Windows (same physical system).  I cannot imagine that as far as the "core" PDF processing logic, Adobe provides *nix'es a "lite" Reader version that might lead to this problem.

3.  It does print from GSVIEW without problems.  You encounter some vertical page alignment issues but hey, who's complaining now!

4.  The user has NO idea something went wrong (other than noticing that nothing comes out after an hour or so).  No error messages, the printer/queue _is_ ready for the next job, etc.  On "info" the error.log (if the user is sophisticated) is way too terse and on "debug" is quite mysterious (especially about what's to blame).

5.  I could attach the file (on request) for your perusal and tests.  I haven't been sure if 70-KB or so is proper etiquette here.

Thanks,
-- Alex