[cups.general] stopping / weird-behaving printer with some programs

Tobias G. Pfeiffer tgpfeiffer at web.de
Thu Jan 4 04:55:32 PST 2007

Hi!

I have recently buyed a new HP Business Inkjet 1000 that I installed on my
Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.18-gentoo-r6) laptop. Cups is cups-1.2.7, the
printer was installed using the web interface and the hpijs drivers: "HP
Business Inkjet 1000 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)". The printer is connected
via USB to my ADSL router and I use it with socket://192.168.178.1:9100.
Now I experience very odd things when printing: From virtually any
application, I can print without problems, output looks fine, the only
exception from that is kpdf. When printing from kpdf, I experience the
following:
* Before printing the first page, the printer signals that the paper tray is
empty; after pushing the "continue" button, it starts printing.
* If the page number is odd, another blank page will be printed at the end; if
it is even, it won't.
* Every second page is printed upside down.
When looking at the pdf preview in, say, Kile (LaTeX editor), and printing
from there, it works fine. Taking exactly the same pdf and printing from kpdf
doesn't. I attached two files that show the debug log produced from the same
file, printed from Kile pdf preview (print_good.log) and kpdf (print_bad.log)
I cannot say for sure *what part* of the printing system is buggy (maybe it
isn't CUPS at all). I'd really appreciate your help!

bye
tgp.

--
1000 Stupid Computer Jokes, #381:
Q: What is worse than regular expressions?