Problem converting from lpd to CUPS

David Robson David.Robson at jet.uk
Mon Jan 8 03:54:38 PST 2007

Hi,

  I am managing a number of linux boxes in a large shop with over 500
different printers of various types.  A different department runs a
solaris machine with a print queue for each printer.  In the past,
I have run lprNG on my linux boxes, with queues to the remote
queues on the solaris machine.  This works great.  I only have to
know the name of the remote queue, I don't have to know the details
about the printers, their drivers, trays, paper sizes etc.

I now have to move on to use CUPS instead of LPRng, and I would like to
do something similar, i.e pass it on to the solaris lpd server.  I don't
want to spend ages setting up drivers and configurations for all 500
printers.

I can do this by setting up print queues with commands like

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p queuname -E -v lpd://printserver/queuename\?manual_copies=off

This works great for commands like lpr.  However if I use something like
openoffice which uses the GTK print dialog, I find that the "print"
button is greyed out for these printers.  If I create the printers via
the CUPS http interface, it works, but then I have to go and
specify all the  printer types and options.  I shouldn't have to do this
if the setup has already been done on the solaris print server.

I guess I need to a default PPD file for a default rempote lpd printer.
Do they exist, or can someone offer me any other advice on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

Dave