Converting existing BSD printcap to printers.conf

paul boin paul.boin at arl.army.mil
Tue Jan 9 04:32:42 PST 2007

I'm surprised to find a lack of information on converting a BSD-style printcap into printers.conf.

We've got a well-established printcap that gets pushed out to all of our linux boxes, but I'd like to have those entries populated into CUPS automaticaly.  (RHEL, by the way.)

I could write a converter, but I'm sure it's already been done, and probably done better too.

Extra credit:  Assuming I do end up pushing a printers.conf to a whole slew of machines.  Has anyone figured out a way to do that without loosing a machine's already-selected default printers?  IOW, as an admin, I want to add printers without clobering the user's choice of which printer to default to.

Thanks.