Printing problem in konqueror

Dizzy dizzy at schlund.ro
Fri Jan 12 04:06:28 PST 2007

Hello

I am using gentoo/amd64 and cups/konqueror for a while now (used kde 3.4.x,
3.5.x now), used many cups versions (whatever gentoo installed as stable
for cups in the last 2 years). I also used more than one type of printer,
the one that I have now is an external Xerox Phaser 3450 which even
provides .ppd drivers (I have used those for cups).

Generally printing works very well, except so far one thing, from konqueror.
Considering that only from konqueror it fails I tried to ask some kde folks
about it but they don't have any idea and it seems that at least it's cups
that has some kind of error. I would need more information how to debug
this error and find out the source of the problem.

When I try to print a page (any page) from konqueror, the job is put into
the kde printing system, then shortly it says there "Error" and the printer
is stopped (as shown by CUPS, I have to start it from it's web interface).
Enabling LogLevel debug in cups prints out something like this when that's
happening:
E [12/Jan/2007:14:00:35 +0200] PID 8637 (/usr/libexec/cups/backend/http)
stopped with status 1!
D [12/Jan/2007:14:00:35 +0200] [Job 10] File 0 is complete.
I [12/Jan/2007:14:00:35 +0200] [Job 10] Backend returned status 1 (failed)

I noticed the postcript file it tries to send it's in the cups spool
directory, maybe it's something to do with the ps files that konqueror
generates (ie %%Creator: KDE 3.5.5 HTML Library) ? How can I debug it ?

Thanks!

--
Dizzy
http://dizzy.roedu.net