[cups.general] Letter instead of A4 after install via Point'n'Print

Kay Obermueller kobermueller at web.de
Fri Jan 12 13:41:58 PST 2007

Helge Blischke schrieb:

>Kay Obermueller wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone,
>>according (hopefully) to these howtos I have setup printers and prepared
>>their cups postscript drivers to be installed automatically via Samba and
>>the so called Point'n'Print method:
>>
>>https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-456501-highlight-.html
>>http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Collection-3.0-PrintingChapter-11th-draft.html
>>
>>Everything works pretty well except that a new windows client that
>>installs the driver tries to print out as Letter instead of A4. I can then
>>change this setting and it is correctly saved, but only on this particular
>>client. Is there a way to set this beforehand in the driver on the server?
>>In smb.conf this is set:
>>default devmode = Yes
>>Does this have influence on this issue?
>>Just this "little" problem needs to be solved then this Cups server works
>>_perfectly_. Who has an idea and would like to help me?
>>
>>Kay
>>

>You should set the default attributes on the CUPS server before. The cupsaddsmb stuff
>uses the PPDs as configured for the CUPS server (from /etc/cups/ppd directory).
>
>Helge

When I do:
#grep A4 R020-magicolor.ppd
I get:
*DefaultPageSize: A4
*PageSize A4/A4: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: PageSize=A4"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting PageSize=A4: "-p9 "
*DefaultPageRegion: A4
*PageRegion A4/A4: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: PageSize=A4"
*DefaultImageableArea: A4
*ImageableArea A4/A4: "11.34 11.34 583.66 830.66"
*DefaultPaperDimension: A4
*PaperDimension A4/A4: "595 842"

#grep Letter /etc/cups/ppd/R020-magicolor.ppd
gives this:
*PageSize Letter/Letter: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: PageSize=Letter"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting PageSize=Letter: "-p1 "
*PageRegion Letter/Letter: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting: PageSize=Letter"
*ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "11.34 11.34 600.66 780.66"
*PaperDimension Letter/Letter: "612 792"
*MediaType Letterhead/Letterhead: "%% FoomaticRIPOptionSetting:
MediaType=Letterhead"
*FoomaticRIPOptionSetting MediaType=Letterhead: "-m259 "

In both ppd's. In /etc/cups/ppd and in /var/lib/samba/printers/W32X86/3
it is the same. And I already printed correctly in A4 to this printer
from Linux and OS X via IPP before using cupsaddsmb.
But here I can find Letter and no A4:

#strings /var/lib/samba/ntprinters.tdb | grep Letter
result:
Letter
Letter

Maybe it is related to what is described here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/Samba-HOWTO-Collection-3.0-PrintingChapter-11th-draft.html#AEN851
/* */
Should I better not use "default devmode = yes" in smb.conf and repeat
cupsaddsmb?/**///

Kay