foomatic-rip: exit status 9

Bryan Lakatos seneca at woh.rr.com
Mon Jan 15 08:07:34 PST 2007

I am having the hardest time getting my Dell 1700 Laser printer working on my server (Debian testing with what I believe is an up-to-date cupsys and related).  This printer works fine on my desktop machine (Debian unstable) with the "Generic PCL 4 Printer Foomatic/laserjet" driver, but does not work on the server.  I've enabled the foomatic-rip.log and this is what it contains:

foomatic-rip version $Revision$ running...
called with arguments: ''
Process dying with "No printer definition (option "-P <name>") specified!", exit stat: 9
        error: No such file or directory (2)

Is cups not passing a printer name to foomatic-rip?  Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.