[cups.general] SUSE 10.2 and CUPS 1.2.7-3.3 Admin problem

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jan 17 02:45:50 PST 2007

Hello,

On Jan 14 07:39 russbucket wrote (shortened):
> Just did upgrade and used lppasswd to input password for an admin user and
> root, different than their login passwords. Keep getting password
> validation errors, changed to root login password and it allows root to
> login to cups. Is this a change from previous versions? Old SUSE 10.0
> allowed passwords to be different.

Up to Suse Linux 10.1 we had CUPS 1.1 which supports "RunAsUser"
and be default we used it and as a consequence we had to use
a "Digest" authentication method too, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.0_on

Since openSUSE 10.2 we have CUPS 1.2 which does no longer
support "RunAsUser" and because we want to have our defaults
in compliance to CUPS (even if it is not easy to decide what
excatly "in compliance to CUPS" means ;-) we do no longer run
cupsd in a "RunAsUser" mode and therefore we do no longer need
to use a "Digest" authentication method.

In short:
Since openSUSE 10.2 cupsd runs as root and authentication
happens via /etc/shadow (i.e. the system root password).

Note that by default cupsd in CUPS 1.2 listens only on internal
("localhost") network interfaces (and a domain socket)
so that you must change it to listen on the outer network too:
Either add someting like "Listen IP.of.your.server", see
http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#Listen
or use YaST via "Other" -> "Change remote access"
(and use the firewall to still protect your host)
and by default cupsd in CUPS 1.2 access to the admin pages
is limited to "localhost" and has "Encryption Required" set.

By the way 1:
In case of an update it is recommended not to use an outdated
cupsd.conf from a CUPS 1.1 installation before but to start
from scratch with the original cupsd.conf from our CUPS 1.2 RPM.

By the way 2:
>From time to time it might happen that even I have vacation
so that there is no full 100% guarantee that you will get always
an immediate answer from me ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de