trouble printing from Macs

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at temp01.nccom.com
Fri Jan 19 18:56:52 PST 2007

We just replaced our printer with a new one (Ricoh 2045), and at the same time I upgraded our CUPS to 1.2.7, running under Fedora Core 6.

Everything seems to be working on jobs from Solaris machines, but I'm having trouble from our Macs (running 10.3.9).

I can print text files from the command line like
lp textfile
and it prints.

But anything more complicated, like a PDF from the command line or printing from Preview or Safari, gets sent to the CUPS server, and sent on to the printer, but it never actually prints, and the log on the printer itself shows the job as "cancelled".

I can't see anything wrong in the logs, but I'd appreciate it if anyone else can see anything or has any ideas.  Printing direct from the Macs to the printer (not through our corporate CUPS server) does work.

The log is at http://tokyojim.com/cupslog-20070119

Thanks.