[cups.general] lpr printing problem

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Jan 21 09:04:59 PST 2007

On Jan 21, 2007, at 11:15 , Peter Flynn wrote:

> Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>> Wouldn't the correct answer here be to install cupsys-bsd in place of
>> whatever lpr you're currently using?
>
> cupsys-bsd is already installed, presumably by Edgy by default, so if
> that's the lpr it provides, that's what I'm using.

Then something's wrong, because CUPS' own lp and lpr commands make
IPP connections to localhost:631.  /etc/printcap should not be
involved; its only purpose is for applications that don't know about
CUPS/IPP printing and want to generate printer menus etc.

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu