Remote printer on WinXP

ronald645 at gmail.com ronald645 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 09:38:15 PST 2007

I'm trying to connect my Linux box to a Windows box. I managed to get the shares with samba. But the printer is the one that causes a lot of trouble. Somehow Linux doesn't detect the Windows box (DELTA) in my workgroup (THUISNETWERK). So I don't know:

- Which ports to open
- Which URI to use for the printer

Details:

Linux box:

- Fedora Core 6 with cups, hplib and a lot of other printing stuff I don't know about.

Windows box:

- Network: Thuisnetwerk
- Name: DELTA
- LOCAL IP: 192.168.2.102
- Printer: HP PSC 2355p
- Printer(sharename): psc2355p
- OS: Windows XP
- Firewall Comodo (correctly configured and I'm sure about that)

When I'm trying to print I get the following error (status) in OOo:

/usr/var/lib/cups/backend/smb failed

So I can assume I did something wrong in my local firewall (iptables) or I inserted a wrong URI. Can someone please help me?