[cups.general] using our own filter to print psutils output

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 22 07:23:48 PST 2007

Hello,

On Jan 22 08:40 Waltraut Niepraschk wrote (shortened):
> It is possible to add a new mime.type entry and a rule in mime.convs
> to get the correct output on the cups server.
> I add the same entries on the client.
> But on the client (with a running cupsd) the command
>  lp -o document-format=application/myownform psutils-job
> doesn't work, because the filter rule was not used,
>  not on the client and not on the server

As far as I remember it had worked for me when I made
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Perhaps you forgot to specify the new MIME type in mime.types
on the client?

Usually (in particular for "broadcasted" queues from the server)
the filters run only on the server (except you did explicitely
set up a queue with filtering on the client).

Perhaps the ordering of the MIME types causes your problem?
All mime types in all /etc/cups/*.types files are combined
an tested in alphabetical order and the resulting MIME type
is the first match - i.e. your new MIME type name must apperar
in alphabetical order before any other MIME type which may
also match.

As a workaround it should help to omit the cupsd on the client
and send it directly to the cupsd on the server via
lp -h server -o document-format=application/myownform psutils-job

By the way:
When you have only one CUPS server, I recommend what I call a
"Client-only configuration" (I don't know if there is an "official"
CUPS name for this kind of setup), see for example
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de