Remote printer on WinXP

Opher Shachar ophers at ladpc.co.il
Mon Jan 22 10:56:04 PST 2007

> I'm trying to connect my Linux box to a Windows box. I managed to get the shares with samba. But the printer is the one that causes a lot of trouble. Somehow Linux doesn't detect the Windows box (DELTA) in my workgroup (THUISNETWERK). So I don't know:
>
> - Which ports to open
> - Which URI to use for the printer
>
> Details:
>
> Linux box:
>
> - Fedora Core 6 with cups, hplib and a lot of other printing stuff I don't know about.
>
> Windows box:
>
> - Network: Thuisnetwerk
> - Name: DELTA
> - LOCAL IP: 192.168.2.102
> - Printer: HP PSC 2355p
> - Printer(sharename): psc2355p
> - OS: Windows XP
> - Firewall Comodo (correctly configured and I'm sure about that)
>
> When I'm trying to print I get the following error (status) in OOo:
>
> /usr/var/lib/cups/backend/smb failed
>
> So I can assume I did something wrong in my local firewall (iptables) or I inserted a wrong URI. Can someone please help me?

Hi, just to put matters straight:
   1. You have a shared printer on your WinXP box
   2. You craeted a Print queue in CUPS with an smb:// backend
   3. Configured firewalls correctly on both machines

Question: Is your WinXP box WinXP SP2?
(Guessing it is)
You need to either authenticate from the CUPS machine with a Windows user and password OR allow Anonymous printing to the WinXP box.
Ask your Windows Admin for instructions or google for it (it is several steps).

Cheers,
Opher Shachar.