using our own filter to print psutils output

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Jan 22 14:38:02 PST 2007

> Hello,
>
> On Jan 22 08:40 Waltraut Niepraschk wrote (shortened):
> > It is possible to add a new mime.type entry and a rule in mime.convs
> > to get the correct output on the cups server.
> > I add the same entries on the client.
> > But on the client (with a running cupsd) the command
> >  lp -o document-format=application/myownform psutils-job
> > doesn't work, because the filter rule was not used,
> >  not on the client and not on the server
>
> As far as I remember it had worked for me when I made
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
>
> Perhaps you forgot to specify the new MIME type in mime.types
> on the client?

If Waltraut is hacking in the mime.* files anyway, she probably has access to a self-compiled CUPS anyway. If so, there are several "test*" utilities included, one of which is "testmime".

It helps to discover typos in the files  :-)

If it works on *one* of the hosts (server or client) but not on the *other*, I'd get and assemble the 2 files in one local directory run "sdiff -sbB server.mime.types client.mime.types" (and the same with *mime.convs). That usually helps to find the error.