[cups.general] Why not "recommend" PPDs in the NickName?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jan 23 03:38:06 PST 2007

Hello,

in the (shortened) mail below you wished that there is
no longer any "recommended" driver/PPD.

Could you explain why?

I know that often users simply want the "best driver" but
of course there is no "best driver" (i.e. no "best PPD").

But as far as I see this does not mean that we should not
help an unexperienced user by recommending a particular driver
(or even recommend a few drivers for the same model which
would not cause a problem as long as all recommended
drivers/PPDs work at least o.k.).

The example in the mail below shows a bug that a wrong
driver/PPD is marked as "recommended" which must be fixed
but as far as I see this does not mean that the general idea
to have recommended drivers/PPDs is wrong.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de