One job at a time

Rui Costa rcosta at geslogica.pt
Tue Jan 23 04:11:52 PST 2007

One of our clientes have a Suse Linux 10.0 server with Cups and 10 ESC/P printers, all of them with a print server each one.

Everything is printed from the server to the printers, there isn't printing from desktops to the printers.

We are talking about an Web Application (CGI's working on Apache) that prints using the lpr command.

Everything works fine with one exception.

When someone prints a big listing (about 40 pages) to one printer (doesn't matter which printer) no one can print to any printer until that listing ends.

Anyhting that we try to print to any printer, while the listing is being spooled to the printer, is lost.

In the Apache error log we found, for each job we tried to print, the following message:
<lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-not-found>

In the Cups error log, for each job we tried to print we found the following message:
<print_job: resource name '/printers/lx_jantes-raw' no good!>

After the listing is finished everything works fine again without any problem.

I don't know how to resolve this.
Thanks in advance