[cups.general] Problems printing from Canon i550

Helge Fredriksen helgeingvart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 13:59:04 PST 2007

Hello!

I've sitting on a Crux 2.2 machine and trying to use it as a print
server. No luck. I downloaded and installed the japanese drivers found
on ftp://download.canon.jp, and managed to install the printer using
the web interface. During the process of trying to print some test
pages, I got errors about access problems to /dev/lp0. Solved this in
a "ugly" fashion setting this device to permission 777. Now, there is
no complaints in the web interface or in /var/log/cups/error_log, but
no printout appears.

PS: To test connectivity I just tried

# yes > /dev/lp0

and the printer working lamp started blinking (but without printing
taking place).

Any clues?

Best regards,
Helge Fredriksen