How to query the originating hostname from the C API?

Dominik Kubla dominik at kubla.de
Tue Jan 23 22:02:29 PST 2007

> Or even more simple, use the "testipp" utility that gets build in the
> "cups" subdir:
>
>      /path/to/.../cups/testipp /var/spool/cups/c01737 | grep job-originating-host-name

I should have stated my problem more precisely:

I have to monitor multiple print servers from one location, so running local utilities on spool files is not an option. Not to mention that the monitoring utility has to run with normal user rights which makes it impossible to access /var/spool/cups for confidentiality reasons.

But never mind: I checked the source of the lpadmin command. The CUPS C API does not offer this functionality, but the IPP C API does. So it is possible, it just gets more complicated.

Regards,
  Dominik