Are several servers needed?

Waltraut Niepraschk waltraut.niepraschk at desy.de
Wed Jan 24 01:51:51 PST 2007

Hi all,

in our institute we have two groups (also buildings) of users and want
to have one group of printers visible for one group and the others for
the second one. We tried to use

<Location /printers/name
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From mysubnet
</Location>

or policies. But it doesn't work.

On the client.notmysubnet we see the printer furthermore, but
if we try to print
printer hp4050 is idle.  enabled since Wed Jan 24 10:32:44 2007
        Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)!

Now I read in the acticle SDB:Cups in a Nutshell (From openSUSE)
that there is no solution for our problem:

 " The following is not possible:
 Sending of browings information about only some of the queues of
 the server.
 In a large company, it is not possible to have only one large server that
 sends browsing information for some of the queues to the clients in one
 department or one building and browsing information for other queues to
 the other clients.
 Several servers are needed for this."

What is the best solution for our problem?
We are not a large site and to run more servers are not our favourite
solution.

Thanx in advance for further help

Waltraut