Polling changes - adhoc alternative

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jan 25 04:27:37 PST 2007

angelb wrote:
> Now, on step b. above, after the client received all of the printers
> from the server, where does the rest of the printers(description,
> etc) are kept? Are they still in memory and dumped in cache only when
> cupsd is stopped? Does that also apply to changes polled?

Everything is in memory, cached by the local instance of cupsd.  We
only write remote.cache when stopping or restarting.

> What I'm getting at is to find a way to manipulate a client config
> file so that when a server has new change, be it new IP address or
> new printer queue, instead of waiting for 1hour(poll interval) and
> then another 20minutes(that's how long our wait time for all
> printers), if I can mod a file to manually make the change, that
> would be ideal!

Technically you could:

     a. Stop cupsd
     b. Poll the server and create a new remote.cache file from the
        information (and/or get/push a remote.cache file created
        specially for clients...)
     c. Start cupsd

I'm not sure this would be much faster than waiting, as you'll need
to do this on every client, but perhaps you have a way to automate
this?