[cups.general] lpr printing problem

Peter Flynn peter.nosp at m.silmaril.ie
Thu Jan 25 15:08:21 PST 2007

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2007, at 11:15 , Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>>> Wouldn't the correct answer here be to install cupsys-bsd in place of
>>> whatever lpr you're currently using?
>>
>> cupsys-bsd is already installed, presumably by Edgy by default, so if
>> that's the lpr it provides, that's what I'm using.
>
> Then something's wrong, because CUPS' own lp and lpr commands make IPP
> connections to localhost:631.  /etc/printcap should not be involved; its
> only purpose is for applications that don't know about CUPS/IPP printing
> and want to generate printer menus etc.

This was happening during the original Edgy installation, where it
detected the printer. I deleted all printers, rebooted, and recreated
them from scratch and it works, but I did take care to make the primary
name of each printer a single word, and use the descriptive phrase for
the alias. I'm not minded to undo it all and try again right now :-)

///Peter