new problem after upgrading to 1.2.6: pstoraster crash on signal 10

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sat Jan 27 23:16:09 PST 2007

Hello. When I was using older version (cannot remember which version I was
using, should be 1.1.2 or some alike) the inkjet printer is fine: after
upgraded to 1.2.6 I got this problem: sending a test page job would cause
pstoraster crash on signal 10 (as described in error log), no page printed
out.

uname -a is:
Linux sappho.realss.com 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 #21 Thu Dec 21 10:12:23 HKT
2006 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc IIi (Sabre) GNU/Linux

cups version: 1.2.6, ghostscript-esp version: 8.15.3 (all are latest
stable on Gentoo Sparc). Printing anything to my inkjet printer gets
this error messag:
        /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster failed

The hardware is Okay (tested by 'cat text_file > /dev/usb/lp0' as well
as 'escputil -uc -r /dev/usb/lp0'). This printer also prints if it's
connected to Windows, so printer is okay too.

I checked cups error_log but I simply cannot find out a clue (this log
is too difficult to understand for my level of knowledge, it simply says
pstoraster crashed on signal 10.

Here is my error_log (LogLevel = debug, not sure if this is right for you):
I catch this log by: first run 'tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log >
cups_errorlog' and then print a test job (standard cups test page)
gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/0/users/weiwu/cups_errorlog

So where else should I check for errors? Should I try another
ghostscript libarary (afpl or gnu)?. Thanks a lot in advance!

Zhang Weiwu
Xiamen, China