[cups.general] RFC: New Driver Rating/Information Attributes

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 29 02:57:16 PST 2007

Hello,

On Jan 26 09:09 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > I suggest to add for each "speed" attribute an optional
> > "cost" attribute which reperesents how much load it causes
> > on a print server to produce the printer specific data.
> Regardless, the existing cupsFilter lines include relative cost
> values for the driver's filters and could be used to compare two
> drivers...

You are right.
Therefore such a fine-grained "cost" attribute is overkill.

> > I suggest to add for each attribute an optional "weight"
> > to make it possible that some attributes have higher priority
> > than others (e.g. the "weight" for the "quality" attributes
> > might be 4 and for the "speed" attributes 2 and for the
> > "cost" attributes the default 1 to that "quality" is
> > heavier than "speed" and "cost" together).
>
> That's not something that belongs in the PPD file, but in the
> application that is interpreting the data.

But then each application that is interpreting the data may
use different default weights which would lead to user confusion
(in particular different printer setup tools may select different
PPDs by default).

> > Additionally this attribute seems to become terrible
> > complicated for devices which can be extended e.g.
> > by duplex units, additinal paper trays, ...
>
> No, it won't.  The tests will be for simplex printing without
> finishing
> I don't think that is needed in the PPD files.  Even so,
> most of that information is already available in the PPD file -
> Duplex option, InputSlot option, etc...

You are right.
And those options already provide detailed info, what exactly
is possible (even with constraints to InstallableOptions).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de