[cups.general] Why not "recommend" PPDs in the NickName?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:47:24 PST 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>>> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>
>> The CUPS-internal page accounting works with foomatic-rip, I have only
>> discovered now that at Ubuntu they have disabled it.
>
> Have they given any reason for doing so? (Sometimes I'm really astonished about their st^H st^H.... strange decisions they take for certain packages.

They have added this comment to /etc/foomatic/filter.conf:

# NOTE: Enabling this option may cause extra pages to be printed after each
# job as well as after banner pages, especially with generic
# PostScript printers.

Looks like that only the generic PostScript printer case (Foomatic PPDs
of driver "Postscript") does not work correctly. Here the page
accounting code gets inserted but GhostScript is not called. The
PostScript with accounting code gets into the printer.

Kurt, can you also try what happens if you print to a Ricoh printer (for
example a Infotec) with the Ricoh-provided PostScript PPD from
linuxprinting.org? In this case foomatic-rip is also used without
GhostScript.

    Till