printer sharing compatibility?

Riccardo multix79 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 15:21:16 PST 2007

when I had a computer with linux/gentoo running cups 1.2.6 and gimp-print. When sharing printers my mac (10.2.8) automatically saw the shared printer and all its options, like the driver settings and the paper sizes.
Now, on a newer computer which runs unstable, I have cups 1.2.7 and gutenprint. If I share the same printer, on the mac side I see several printers (which different names like IP address, queue name...) under the recognized shared printers. The probem is for example that no valid papersize is returned and so it can't be selected and I can't print.
I wonder if the problem is in some protocol change form 1.2.6 oto 1.2.7 which the older mac doesnt recognize, or if it is a problem with gutenpritn isntead. Or a combination.