CUPS Server - driver problem

Michael mmarino at auburn.mec.edu
Wed Jan 31 08:11:30 PST 2007

Hello,

This is my very first attempt to setup and use CUPS, so I'm not too sure about what I am doing.

What I have:
OS: CentOS 4.4
Samba: 3.0.10-1.4E.9
CUPS: 1.1.22-0.rc1.9.11

Samba is working correctly as a file server. I have setup CUPS on the server so that a printer is attached to it via ip adddress. The server can print to the printer, and I can see the printer shared on the server.

What I want:

I'd like to be able to print to that printer from a Windows box. When I try to connect to the printer I get this message:

"The server on which the 'printer' resides does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to install the driver on your local computer, click OK."

That is my dilemma. I can't figure out the next step. I've searched online and read through many tutorials, but I am at a loss as to what to do next.

I've tried using MS post script drivers, Adobe post script drivers, cups postscript drivers, etc. I throw the drivers into the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and then issue the following command:

# /usr/sbin/cupsaddsmb -U [username] -v -a

The command works fine, yet I am still unable to get the driver setup correctly.

Thanks for your help.