[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2194: USB backend fails to work nearly ever.

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-cups at codelabs.ru
Wed Jan 17 00:24:47 PST 2007

[STR New]

Michael, good day!

Fine, seems like bidirectional USB is broken on your printer, as expected.
Please, try the attached patch, usb_quirks.c-lexmark-e240.patch. If was
generated on FreeBSD-6.2. To apply it, go to the /sys/dev/usb directory
and spawn the command 'patch < path-to-the-downloaded-patchfile'. It
should respond with the message like
-----
Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- usb_quirks.c.orig  Wed Jan 17 11:08:57 2007
|+++ usb_quirks.c       Wed Jan 17 11:15:14 2007
--------------------------
Patching file usb_quirks.c using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 90.
done
-----

Then rebuild your kernel (cd /usr/src; make kernel), reboot when kernel
will be rebuilt and watch for kernel messages about ulpt0. It should
report 'ulpt0: using uni-directional mode'. And if it will be so, try to
print something.

Note: I did not tried to recompile the kernel with my patch, since it is
almost trivial. But may there are some error in my patch, though unlikely.
If your kernel will not compile, send me the error message. One more
thing: if you know how to recompile your kernel, then you can do it as
usual.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2194
Version: 1.2.7